History of the Area
The House of Mystery
itself was originally an assay office and later used for tool storage, built by the
Old Grey Eagle Mining Company in 1904. But the history of the surrounding area,
The Oregon Vortex, goes way back to the time of the Native Americans.
Their horses would not come into the affected area, so they wouldn't. The Native Americans
called the area the "
Forbidden Ground", a place to be shunned. Many years before The
House of Mystery was built it was noted that unusual conditions existed there. But
it was not until well into the 20th century that any effort was made
toward a scientific analysis of the disturbance.
John Litster was a geologist, mining engineer, and physicist. He developed the area in the early 1920's and opened it to the public in 1930. He conducted thousands of experiments within the Vortex until his death in 1959. He was born in Alva, Scotland on April 30, 1886, son of a British Foreign Diplomat.